Save money with simple kai (food) options. Because being connected to whenua is more important for your health than the food you eat!
3 September 2020 - Simple Yum Apple Crumble + Custard
I made this recipe up from whatever was in our pantry.
- Chop 4 apples into 8ths, half fill a saucepan/pot with water and about half to 1 cup of sugar and slowly boil the apples for about 5 minutes
- Reduce the heat to low and let simmer until the water starts to evaporate
- The apples will start to candy with the sugar, for about an hour
- Take 4 crumbled Weetbix in a mixing bowl with about 100g of chopped soft butter with sugar - about a table spoon. Crush all together
- Once apples are ready and water has evaporated, place in a baking tray and put the crumble on top
- Cook in the oven until crispy brown top at 160 to 180 degrees celsius
- Seperate 4 egg yolks
- Add about 3 tablespoons of cornflour
- Add 1 teaspoon of vanilla essence
- Add sugar to taste say 1 tablespoons
- Mix the above until they are a bright yellow stiff paste
- In a seperate pot, bring to the boil 2 cups of milk, I also added butter to make it creamier and used milk powder plus water instead of milk. You can use cream if you have it.
- Once boiled and frothy, slowly start adding and stirring into the yellow paste above, little by little to avoid the lumps
Yum - heaps of butter, sugar, but hey it feels nice when you're feeling pohara or hard in saving mode.